Walters State’s Rel Maples Institute for Culinary Arts will offer classes in baking, Italian cooking, tailgating parties, fresh herbs, party planning, and food photography in the coming fall semester.
These one-credit hour classes are open to everyone and for around $200, which includes a $50 ingredient fee. To avoid a $25 late fee, payment is due by Aug. 15. Classes are held at the college’s Sevier County Campus.
•Pies and Pastries will meet Monday nights, Aug. 25-Oct 10, from 6-9 p.m. Learn the techniques of producing classic pastries, pies and tarts. The class also covers preparation, mixing procedures and presentation techniques.
•Baking for the Holidays will meet Monday nights, Oct. 15-Dec. 5, from 6-9 p.m. Learn how to make baked gifts that recipients will truly appreciate and how to prepare desserts that wow even the most picky guest.
• Cooking Italian will meet Tuesdays, Oct. 15-Dec. 5, from 6-9 p.m. Learn how to make appetizers, entrees and desserts that top those served at restaurants. This class covers the most popular Italian dishes.
• Tailgating Parties/Grilling will meet on Tuesdays, Aug. 25-Oct. 10, from 6-9 p.m. Learn how to make your party the best at the stadium with some grilling and barbecue tips and delicious salads, drinks and snacks.
• Fresh Herbs and Salads will meet Wednesdays, Aug. 25-Oct. 10, from 6-9 p.m. Add flavors to your daily dishes by using fresh herbs. The class covers growing herbs, preparing them and preserving them for winter use.
• Party Planning and Decorations meets Wednesdays, Oct. 15-Dec. 5, from 6-9 p.m. Get rid of any “hospitality anxiety” with these techniques used by professional caterers. This class covers organization, food and atmosphere.
• Food and Photography meets on Fridays, Aug. 25-Oct. 10, from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. Discover how to shoot food images with minimal equipment and some basic composition rules. Learn to shoot images like those you see in magazines.
For information or to register for courses contact Deb Peachey at 865-774-5817 or Debra.Peachey@ws.edu.