By Wes Ramey
Dollywood’s Great American Summer (lasting until Aug. 2) provides the ideal atmosphere for families to create lifelong memories thanks to a number of new entertainment offerings, extended park hours and a nightly fireworks show. It’s the perfect way to enjoy the award-winning park’s 30th anniversary season!
Dollywood celebrates 30 years of the world’s best entertainment with the debut of two dance parties, an interactive new show featuring a number of America’s chart-topping songs, and two new children’s stories in The Little Engine Playhouse. Dolly’s Nights of Many Colors has been reimagined to feature popular music from the last 30 years, and another guest favorite, The Gazillion Bubbles Show, moves to D.P.’s Celebrity Theater, offering an even larger facility to fill with the fantastic bubble-making spectacle. Extended park operating hours—10 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily— give guests more time to create the perfect summer getaway.
“There’s nothing quite like those warm summer nights right here in the middle of the Great Smoky Mountains,” said Dolly Parton. “I still remember lying in the grass and watching the stars dance across the sky, and we’d chase those ol’ lightnin’ bugs all night long through the hills where we grew up. I’m so glad we’re able to give families more time to stay up late during my Great American Summer so they can enjoy everything that is so special about spending time together under the stars.”
Dolly’s Nights of Many Colors returns with a new synchronized soundtrack to celebrate Dollywood’s 30 years of family memories. The nightly fireworks spectacular paints a colorful backdrop across the sky and begins each night at 9:30 p.m.
Several incredible new performances highlight the entertainment lineup during Dollywood’s Great American Summer:
- One of the newest additions to Dollywood’s award-winning entertainment lineup, Live at the Back Porch highlights the incredible talent of the park’s performers thanks to a mini-concert of music ranging from pop and country to rock. This upbeat, 30-minute show features three singers, a five-piece band and a vast library of songs!
- Guests this summer shouldn’t worry if they see an old truck slowly navigating its way through the streets of Dollywood…because a homegrown good time is not far behind! While it may be old, its radio definitely has enough energy to get everyone on their feet for a spontaneous shindig complete with music and dancing. Dollywood employees might even take part in the Pick-Up Patrol by breaking in to dance during this spur-of-the-moment party. Park guests will be invited to join the fun through dancing, improvised musical instruments and much more!
- Guest can join in the excitement of Lite the Nite, a high-spirited dance party which occurs each night prior to Dolly’s Nights of Many Colors fireworks extravaganza. DJ B-Fly and a 12-person cast entertain and delight guests in Wilderness Pass with a fun-filled, 15-minute party designed to get every member of the family on their feet in an interactive, high-energy dance celebration. To highlight Dollywood’s 30th Anniversary, Lite the Nite features some of the most popular dance music from the past 30 years with favorite songs sure to appeal to every generation. Each night, the cast searches the crowd for two daring parents to display their best moves in a dance-off. This fun party is so hot that it might just launch Dolly’s Nights of Many Colors!
- Everyone feels like a kid during The Gazillion Bubbles Show. Now in D.P.’s Celebrity Theater, this unbelievable production unleashes the amazing fun of bubbles with some amazing tricks guests have to see to believe!
- It’s story time again as The Little Engine Playhouse brings two new children’s stories, Old Bear and His Cub and Betty Bunny Didn’t Do It, to life in 25-minute musicals featuring sing-along songs written by Dolly. Everyone’s favorite, The Little Engine That Could, comes to the stage with a delightful reminder of what can happen with just a little bit of determination.
While Dollywood guests have an amazing amount of entertainment options to enjoy during their visit, they also can experience the park’s award-winning rides in a completely different environment. Once the sun sets, Dollywood’s trademark attractions, like Wild Eagle and Thunderhead, provide a unique experience for those who climb aboard. These rides thrill guests as they race through the summer night with no idea which way the track will turn next!